Monday, February 25, 2013

Windows 7 : Windows event log error 4201

Today morning, I faced a new problem. When I tried to connect to my VPN, I got the following error:

"Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on local computer. Error 1068. The dependency service or group failed to start."

That is simple. So I went to the Remote Access Connection Manager Service and found 2 dependencies : Telephony and SSL. Started both of them and tried to start the service again: Same Error !!

Hmm.. thats a problem. To know more details, I looked in to the Eventlog and now that too gave an error :

 The service has not started and when I tried to start the service I got the error :  Cannot start windows event log service on Windows 7. Error 4201.

Now that's a bigger problem. Something has gone real bad with my laptop. All the solutions pointed to deleting the "C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup" directory and to do so I need to go to Safe Mode. Now my company's laptop does not allow you to go to Safe Mode without a password. So what to do.


  1. Make a copy of the folder RtBackup - just to be safe.
  2. Take the ownership of the folder - From System to Yourself and reboot your computer
  3. Now that you are owner - you can delete the folder :)
  4. And yes post restart everything was back to normal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a error...........