Sunday, May 1, 2011

Delete Internet Explorer History when disabled by Admin

Sometime Domain Admins disable deletion of Internet Explorer's history by setting a domain group policy. The Internet Explorer "Delete Browsing History" looks like:






















where the check-box next to History is disabled. Still if you want to clear it off, you have 2 options:
  1. Go to registry and enable the check-box - a cumbersome way
  2. Or go the command line way. Just type in the following in the command window:
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 1

and you are all set :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This works! Nicely done! Thank you!

plan_man said...

isnt the data still in index.dat?

Unknown said...

Nicely done. Worked perfectly. Thank you

Confused said...

I have a question. My admin has disabled from IE Delete options, the History and Download History options. I found a ton of pictures by doing a search for *.jpg in my PC since the temporary files folder is not visible even though I have the show hidden folders selected. I want to delete all those pictures and I have deleted them several times but every morning when I check they are back in that folder once I do the search in the PC. Trying to navigate to the folder doesn't find the folder. So it seems that this is a setting that my admin has that it restores all my settings again.

I ran what you suggested and it looks like it deleted (seemed to be working) but I won't know until tomorrow morning. I thought I'd ask if you think this will work for me. I have some sensitive pictures there and I can't ask the admin as I don't trust he won't browse through them. I am a little confused because the folder is Temporary Internet Files but in the internet options when I try to delete the option to delete Internet Temp Files is available but it doesnt delete. Am I correct to assume the history is what is containing these files?

K said...

"There was a problem starting InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess. The specified module could not be found." Now what, please?